Monday, November 27, 2006

Why Do People Look At Me Funny...

...when I suggest that Pierce Brosnan is one of the best Bonds, at least in the top two, right up there with Sean Connery in terms of "Best Bond"? And, Daniel Craig merely ties Pierce Brosnan?

Why? Sean Connery played Bond as cool and kind of sadistic, which was interesting. Brosnan was a little boy lost, a Peter Pan sort of man that, in the words of one of his villans, "I might as well ask if all those vodka martinis silence the screams of all the men you've killed... or if you've found forgiveness in the arms of all those willing women for the dead ones you failed to protect?" (And, I keep thinking that Sean Bean deserves much better roles than what he gets, very often...).

The Daniel Craig Bond believes in nothing but his own skill and the mission, and wants to find something to believe in beyond that. He knows the mortality rate of his job, and wants something that can be called "a glory greater than ourselves".

I could never get into the Moore Bond, whom seemed way too Disco for my tastes. George Lazenby...of him, I feel so very sorry. He had one of the best Bonds, and it didn't work out for him. And, Timothy Dalton's Bond was one that should have been a contender, but it was like God and the plot was against him.

And, it turns out that John Scalzi agrees with me...

No comments: